Saturday 17 November 2012

Death of Democracy ?

The Death of Democracy ?

There is a sadness in that in the same week that we have Remembrance Sunday, we have elections for the Police & Crime Commissioner with the lowest electoral turnout ever.

I have always argued that it is the duty of everyone on the electoral register to vote. In general, I would say that people died in two world wars for our freedom. Specifically, and on a more personal level, I have two great uncles who died in World War 1. My Paternal Grandmother had a cousin who died in Anzio, Italy, in World War 2. So, out of respect of them, I vote.

I may have different political opinions from you. That's fine. That's what democracy is all about. Nearly 4 years ago, a dear friend of hours passed away but when Ernest was alive, we used to have some heated political debates. We were at apposite ends of the political scale. Ernest was a devout Tory. I absolutely was not, am not nor ever will be. I would often tease him when I found out he shared his birthday with Tony Blair. But, we remained good friends. This is what a free democracy us all about.

So, we have had the elections for the new position of Police & Crime Commissioner. The general consensus of opinion is that no one knew who to vote for. More specifically, why they should vote for someone. We had no information posted through the door. Those of us who are internet 'savvy' could research. But what of those who have no internet access ?

One of the highest voter turnouts was in Humberside with 20%. A ballet box in Doncaster had a grand total of four (yes, 4) ballot papers. A quick turnround should there be the need for a recount. A constituency in Newport had a zero % turnout. No one voted.

This is what my Grandfathers brother, George Arthur Hopwood, died for. To give us freedom.  Freedom to vote. Freedom not to vote. Freedom to vote for a specific candidate. Freedom to spoil the ballot paper. Freedom to not be bothered. Freedom not to care.

Do I aim those last two comments just at the voter ? Absolutely, I do not. The great briitsh voting public need to be informed to be engaged. The great british public was not informed so the great british public was not engaged with this election.

Politicians need to wake up to this. The excuses given out yesterday by those in power were just that - excuses. Lame excuses.

It has been suggested that the new commissioners do not have a mandate. If a candidate won by getting 50% of the vote, that is only 50% of the 20% that voted. Now, maths was never my strongest subject. However, in such a case, 50% of 20% is 10%. So, I reckon 90% did not vote for you. Hardly a mandate to run the county police service. And remember that 20% turnout was the highest. Many areas were lower. Much lower.

So, what to do ? I will always be passionate about voting. I always will vote. I believe spoiling a ballot paper is as valid as voting for someone. I am not convinced that to not vote at all is valid. However, I will defend the right to not vote. That is democracy. That is what my maternal grandfathers brother, Charles Peter Dykes, died for in World War 1.

The great british public need to engage. That they have not engaged with this election, however, is not entireley their fault. We should have been more informed.

Too many scandals in recent times have disengaged the public from their political leaders. Expenses. Phone hacking. People in positions of influence have betrayed the trust of the public. 'Aunty Beeb' has a host of problems at the moment. Poor inaccurate journalism. The BBC 'belongs' to us. We expect more than to tarnish the reputation of innocent people.

Great British Public - engage with your democracy,
Politicans - engage with the great british public. You are political leaders. Lead.

1 comment:

MAWH said...

It's amazing what it is that can persuade us back to the keyboard in order to get a few thoughts off our collective chests...

Good work, Mr H, but, like many other things, I'm sure that the rumours of its death have been greatly exaggerated, although I have to confess that, for the first time in my adult life, I didn't actually take part in an election I was eligible to vote in...

My bad, but I'm sure I'll be explaining the reasoning behind that decision in another blog on another day...